Re: Recommends: in Emdebian

On 2007-05-17 21:52 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Something that came up on debian-devel: It may well be a good idea to
> tweak the Recommends lines of cross-built packages for Emdebian so that
> once aptitude becomes available, users can retain a sane dependency
> tree without having to always alias aptitude=aptitude -R

There is an aptitude preference for this. (I always set it even on
'normal' machines - recommends brings in way too much stuff :-)

Perhaps we should just set that option as the default on emdebian apt?

> Maybe downgrade Recommends to Suggests unless there is a clear reason
> to retain it?

> This is probably a more fine-grained approach than either including the
> alias in the default environment or confusing users by forcing a
> cross-built aptitude to treat -R as the default instead of -r.

Isn't effectively merging suggests and recommends in emdebianised
packages _less_ fine-grained than leaving them as is, but defaulting
both to 'not installed'? Or have I misunderstood?

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/