Re: Problem about install cross compile tool on lenny

On Fri, 4 May 2007 09:25:45 +0200
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 May 2007, Neil Williams wrote:
> > You should have gcc-4.1-arm-linux-gnu NOT arm-cross.
> >
> > http://www.emdebian.org/toolchains/search.php?package=gcc-4.1-arm-linux-gnu&arch=i386&distro=unstable
> > http://www.emdebian.org/toolchains/search.php?package=gcc-4.1-arm-linux-gnu-base&distro=unstable&arch=i386
>
> Those packages in the unstable branch match the gcc version in lenny/etch.
> They do not match the gcc version in unstable.

This is because of a problem with glibc in Debian unstable:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/glibc.html

"out of date on arm: libc6, libc6-dbg, libc6-dev, libc6-pic, libc6-prof,
locales-all, nscd (from 2.5-4)"

In other words, glibc (and gcc-4.1) are currently failing to build on
typical Emdebian architectures like arm which then means that attempts
to build a cross-compiling toolchain for those architectures are likely
to fail (and even if they succeed may produce useless code).

Not much can be done until glibc and gcc are fixed in Debian - then new
toolchains can be built by Emdebian and made available to
emdebian-tools. Only once the toolchain can be updated will "normal
service" be resumed where gcc-4.1 lives happily alongside
gcc-4.1-arm-linux-gnu etc.

This is one of the hazards of cross-compiling and a situation that (for
various reasons to do with frozen packages and toolchains) is
particularly likely after a Debian release. Until Debian unstable
settles down, Emdebian is likely to have a difficult time. This isn't
just our problem - I have exactly the same problem with my own upstream
Debian packages and with the GPE packages. Those that have been updated
since the gcc-4.1/glibc transition began are now stalled by the
problems inside that transition.

I'm not sure how to solve this right now, it makes it hard for new
users to install any kind of toolchain. It might be possible to
downgrade gcc-4.1 and glibc (and associated dependencies) to Debian
testing but that could easily involve downgrading *large* parts of the
wider system. glibc and gcc-4.1 are currently RC buggy because of these
problems so the version in Debian testing will remain usable until such
time as the versions in unstable are fixed AND have remained
trouble-free for a period of up to 10 days - likely to be less in the
case of glibc and gcc-4.1 because of the 1,200 (at last count) packages
currently stalled by these bugs but whatever happens, gcc-4.1 or glibc
will not enter Debian testing until such time as architectures like arm
have built successfully, at which point an updated Emdebian toolchain
becomes possible for unstable, fixing the original problem.

This is one reason why I'm working on a chroot script that can insulate
against such breakages. It is possible to create a chroot of Debian
Lenny already and you could install emdebian-tools and the Emdebian
toolchains in that.

If you already had a toolchain installed PRIOR to this transition, you
would have the same situation as myself upon apt-get upgrade: The
following packages have been kept back:

abiword-gnome cpp cpp-4.1 g++ g++-4.1 gcc gcc-4.1 gcc-4.1-base
gnome-themes-extras imagemagick lib32gcc1 libenchant1c2a libffi4
libffi4-dev libgcc1 libmagick9 libstdc+ +6 libstdc++6-4.1-dev
libtag1c2a seahorse
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 20 not upgraded.

i.e. I have been 'insulated' from the gcc/glibc problems precisely
because I already had an Emdebian toolchain installed. True, I'm
missing updates to some other packages that do now depend on the
updated glibc but as this glibc is broken and I cannot use it for
cross-building anyway, this isn't really a problem that I would wish to
solve.
;-)