Some questions about coding Embedded Systems

Hello,

Since my last message you know that I am coding some embedded stuff,
but only partialy...  I was member of a Group which coded Security- and
Survaillance-Systems based on DOS (DJGPP).

Unfortunatly this group is going down because to many differences. :-(

Generaly I was using i386 based Singel-Chip-CPU's and I try to recode
the stuff, since it use only Serial- and Paralel-Ports... where I like
to use USB stuff only...

Unfortunatly the DOS-Based OSes are to big and Linux (even embedded is
bigger)

I remember the time where I had a 386EX and coded stuff smaller then
400 kByte.

So my idea is based on "memtest86", - A one binary OS, based on a
striped Kernel where all neccesary stuff is included.

This mean:

1)  Based on i386, ARM, MIPS or amd64. (I have some singel-task APPS
    where I need VERY fast 64-Bit CPU's and my Athlon XP 3000+ is to
    slow).  If you have better ideas for a very fast CPU (highspeed
    real-time data analyses), please let me know.
2)  Storage:  PATA (CF-Disk/Microdrive, 1"-2.5" HDD's, SATA (prefered
    use of the 3Ware chips and technology), SCSI (with chipset ???)
3)  Full USB 1.0, 1,1 and 2.0 support
4)  Viedeo:  I have contacted Matrox to get Licences to develop my own
    Multi-Headed Graphic-Controllers... (speed does not mather since
    all apps are console based because X give to many possibilities for
    faults); Suported LCD's 2x32 to 8x80 and TFT's from 5" to 19".
5)  Singel-Binary OS/Apps must fit into 8 MByte (NVRAM or EEPROM) and
    must work with less then 64 MByte (16 Mbyte prefered) of memory.

Question:  Does anyone know, HOW to code such Singel-Binary OS/Apps?

Oh, last requirement:  Must boot in less then 8 Seconds.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)