Fw: [Gpe-list] New GPE daughter project - GPE Phone Edition!

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:07:11 +0100
From: Nils Faerber <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de>
To: gpe-list@linuxtogo.org
Subject: [Gpe-list] New GPE daughter project - GPE Phone Edition!

Hello dear fellow GPE developers and users!

We are very proud to announce a new free and open source daughter
project of GPE - the GPE Phone Edition project!

When I write "we" it in fact means quite a number of people including
Florian Boor and me, as well as a whole team of people from the Research
and Development Lab of Orange/Francetelecom in Beijing, China!

The whole project started about a year ago when Orange/FT Beijing lab
contacted us for "just some questions about GPE". It turned out that
Orange/FT is a major player on the foundation of the LiPS Forum
(http://www.lipsforum.org) and that they wanted to probably base LiPS
compliant implementations for their test purposes upon GPE.

Over the following little more than twelve months Florian and me
consulted them. The people at the Orange/FT lab did an amazing job and
after checking some legal strings now release their hard work into the
open source! And this is what makes most of GPE Phone Edition at the
current moment.

The current code reflects the architecture that has been defined by the
LiPS Forum and combines this with developments from GPE and other open
source projects.

The result is now an open sourced software stack which can handle a GSM
compliant mobile modem for making voice calls, handling the SIM address
book and sending and receiving SMS. Also some additional application
exist e.g. for media playback, instant messaging and email.

Well, long story short, we wanted to let you know before we call the
masses ;)

So come and have a look at
	http://gpephone.linuxtogo.org

We have some screenshots there and even a downloadable VMware image
using which you can try the whole thing in a virtual phone on your PC -
if you connect a GSM Modem (like an existing phone) to /dev/GSM-Modem
you should probably even be able to use the full phone functionality
(access SIM card, send/receive SMS, make a call!).

All the sources are there too, in SVN and as downloadable tar-balls
accompanied with a bunch of documentations. The corresponding bitbake
build files will be uploaded to Open Embedded soon too.

We would be happy to see you there!

Cheers
  nils faerber

I've got to check the actual licence first but, once gpe-phone is in
OE, it can also be in Debian and Emdebian so things will get very
interesting!

Emdebian on a GSM mobile phone, full sync operations directly with the
SIM card from a normal Debian box, data conversion from a Palm device
to a GSM mobile or from an iPAQ to a mobile, mobile to Palm, etc.....