dpkg-cross and debconf

OK, there's a (working) implementation of the debconf handler for
dpkg-cross in CVS that offers the following selections for a default
architecture:

None, alpha, amd64, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc,
s390, sparc

Default: None
 If this machine is typically cross-building for one main architecture,
 you can select that architecture here to save specifying it again when
 running dpkg-cross, apt-cross or emdebian-tools. Select 'None' to have
 no default.

In /etc/dpkg-cross/cross-compile, there is an additional note:

# Note: default_arch is managed by debconf - it can be overridden
# if ~/.dpkg-cross/cross-compile exists or by specifying an
# architecture on the command line.
# Use '[sudo] dpkg-reconfigure dpkg-cross' to change this value.

I've also fixed two uninitialised values in dpkg-cross.pl which were
preventing me from enabling
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
in some emdebian-tools scripts.

Can someone verify that the copy in CVS is working and ready for a 1.33
release? Thanks.

Also, if the debconf template text needs to be tweaked, please let me
know - I'll request debconf translations through the normal channels in
due course if everyone is happy with the text.

This simple script can be used to verify that changes via debconf
become available to processes using dpkg-cross:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

require 'dpkg-cross.pl';

$arch ||= "";
read_config();
setup();
print "\nDefault cross-build architecture is: $arch\n\n";

The downside is this notice on installing dpkg-cross:
Configuration file `/etc/dpkg-cross/cross-compile'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** cross-compile (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

I think I can prevent that by getting dpkg-cross to not
install /etc/dpkg-cross/cross-compile. Instead it can
install /etc/dpkg-cross/cross-compile.sample and the debconf script can
read that, incorporate the debconf value and write
out /etc/dpkg-cross/cross-compile. Testing now.