Re: info about etrax

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:13:16 +0100
Michele Carla` <goldfinger@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Hi
> I'm looking for a nice distro to run on my etrax board,
> as a debian user
> I would like emdebian, but after digging in emdebian.org I'm a little
> confused:
> what is the current status/direction in emdebian development ?

scripts to implement that method are being developed. Direction:
Develop the composite method [1] to create packages for an eventual
distribution, aiming initially for GPE [2] on arm by June this new year.

Right now, I'm working on the website scripts that will present live
repository data about packages and the hooks to update the database
upon each upload. Once that is in place, I'll start uploading some of
the packages that I've already built for arm, gradually moving through
the dependencies from the bottom up. I'm starting with libc6, zlib1g,
sqlite and moving to libglib2.0-0. By that time, I'm hoping that the
scripts will have had most of the rough edges knocked off and the
builds can spread out into the wonders of X and Gtk, at which point GPE
becomes buildable within Emdebian.

To be able to build GPE in Emdebian, we first have to have the rest of
GPE in Debian, so over the last 10 days I've been building GPE packages
for Debian - there are 12 waiting in the NEW queue right now and many
of those are libraries [3]. Once these are in place, the rest of GPE
can be uploaded - Philippe has packages for the rest and I'll sponsor
those for him when they are updated against the new GPE library
packages in Debian.

Once the method has been tested with arm, other architectures will
follow.

If you need a distro sooner, consider openembedded [4] and their GPE
build. I'm hoping to build an OE package of apt to provide an upgrade
path from an OE install to Emdebian.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianMetaData
[2] http://gpe.linuxtogo.org/
[3] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=codehelp@debian.org