uClibc copyright and licence audit

Hi,

I've taken over the Debian uclibc package a few months ago, and while
the technical bits of the package are working fine, the current
copyright/licencing situation makes it very difficult to upload the
package into Debian (i.e. my last uploads have been rejected for that
reason).

The situation is as follows: uclibc has over 2000 source files (~1800
files ending in .c and .h, plus the build system), with lots of
different copyright holders and licences. While the situation is not hopeless (the vast majority have clear information, and I haven't found too many :-) incompatibilities so far), it is nonetheless needed to do a full audit.

There are a few "trivial" files consisting of three or four lines of code that do not have proper attribution, and some stuff seems to have been duplicated and patched (mostly in the ld.so directory) without adding the authors of the modifications; also it is necessary to cross-check whether some of the licences affect each other in curious and interesting ways (for example, the LGPL stipulates that the build system is part of the source; however large parts of that are GPLed, which could lead people to argue that the binaries are also under the GPL (the LGPL permits relicensing under the GPL and stipulates that the build system is part of the source, so the only way to reach a consistent licencing would be to apply the GPL everywhere).

So, I'm planning to go through all of the files and find out who wrote what, add the proper attribution in the source files and a longish document that summarizes everything. As this is significantly more fun with more people, I'm asking for supporters.

There are a few different options:

 - an IRC meeting

this would probably take place on either 22nd/23rd or 29th/30th this month, probably on freenode's #uclibc or if people request it on a different channel

 - a RL meeting

I'd offer to host such a meeting in Munich if there is interest (this could be combined with a visit to the Oktoberfest if it happens on the 29th/30th or 5th/6th/7th next month)

 - a wiki page

less "fun", but does not limit things to happen in a certain time frame

 - inside the svn

probably still needs some additional coordination to avoid people doing duplicate work, but has the advantage of all the info ending up in the right place from the start.

Opinions?

   Simon