Re: gcc-4.1: cross build failure: debug package not built when cross compiling

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:46:49 +0200
Jö Fahlke <jorrit@jorrit.de> wrote:

> I don't currently have a powerpc machine up and running, so I won't
> be able to test the resulting compiler very much.  Also, I've switched
> to lenny in the meantime.  For building the pakage, I'm using
>
> * dpkg-cross 1.39

Currently being re-written. 1.99+2.0.0pre1 is in experimental, pre2 is
pending changes in dpkg.

The rest of the issues are all to do with gcc-4.2, not dpkg-cross.

> * libgcc1-powerpc-cross is needed to cross-build gcc-4.2 since the
>   libc stuff depends on it.

libc6-foo-cross to be precise.

> However, cross-building gcc will produce
>   another version of libgcc1-powerpc-cross.  The version produced by
>   dpkg-cross depends on gcc-4.2-base-powerpc-cross, while the other
>   version depends on gcc-4.2-powerpc-linux-gnu-base, which was
>   produced in the cross-build.

You've missed a trick with the dpkg-cross one - use the '-X' option to
exclude Architecture:all packages or use apt-cross to download, build
and install libgcc1-foo-cross in one operation so that the dependency is
omitted.

dpkg-cross (like dpkg) isn't aware of the detail of a dependency - it
just knows the name. apt-cross uses the apt cache to retrieve data
(like whether it is Architecture:all) and uses that data to make
sensible decisions about which dependencies are relevant to dpkg-cross
and passes the '-X' option for the others.

When building Emdebian toolchains, we install libgcc1 (amongst others)
using apt-cross, then build binutils and gcc, then install in one
operation.

Try checking the source code of emchain from emdebian-tools.