read only root

OK, this is a bit off the beaten path, but I am working with the regular Debian for ARM distro.

I'm having a problem getting the system to boot with read-only root.

It seems that somewhere in the startup scripts debian uses /etc/ as a /tmp directory and to store volatile files. Specifically, the problem seems to be that debian insists on writing a file, /etc/network/ifstate, which is critical in bringing up networking. I've tried creating it and then mounting ro, but somewhere in the boot process / is mounted rw, the file is deleted, and then / is remounted ro, and networking fails as the scripts can't create that file.

I think this should be considered a bug in debian startup; scripts should not use /etc/* to store volatile information; that's what /var is for....

Before I delve into the startup scripts, is anyone working on changes to the startup scripts for embedded platforms?

Thanks,

--Yan

--
 o__

Linux stuff has made big progress over the competition. When things sit and don't start right away, we have a watch, and those poor guys have to settle for an hourglass.