Re: Emdebian native build

On 2007-07-19 15:10 +1000, lbm@lizzy.com.au wrote:
> > On 2007-07-17 01:54 +0100, Hector Oron wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >  Chuan-kai has been asking me about building native emdebian
> > > environment, like i386-i386. I think that is a point that we have not
> > > been paying any attention to, but could be a nice thing to have, at
> > > least people would be able to test, in the same system, the "crossed"
> > > packages.
> >
> > I did a bit of this a while back - I wrote a script to run emsource on the
> > 100-odd packages in a debootstrap base and then build them all to see
> > how many worked. But then I ran out of space on that box, so I'm not
> > sure what proprtion worked. Lots more than would cross-build,
> > certainly.
>
> I for one would be very interested in having a look at that script if it is available. I am looking at using emdebian on a nortech "new" microclient (www.norhtec.com).

The description above makes it sound much more exciting than it is.
The script to emdebianise everything was simply this:

for file in cat required-files
do
  echo "getting $file"
  emsource --arch arm $file
done

And the building was done with:
for file in cat required-files
do
  echo "Building $file"
  fileletter=echo $file | cut -c1
  dir=ls ~/emdebian/build/trunk/$fileletter/$file/trunk/$file-* | sort
  (cd $dir; emdebuild --arch arm && echo "built $file OK")
done

Still. I suppose that shows that it's easy to do (but as Neil pointed
out, plenty of packages won't build after this simple-minded automatic
emdebianisation)

I realised that the next thing this process needed was some way of
checking/recording build status (a la buildd.org). I think that's
proabbyl still on the to-do list. And I think we need to separate out
build logs from package sources. The mole infrastructure is probably a
good way to do this. Anyone wanting to take on this task is very
welcome. I'm full at the moment.

And I've forgotten exactly what I did to make 'required-files' but the
result was (all on one line):

base-files base-passwd bash bsdutils coreutils debconf debconf-i18n
debianutils diff dpkg dselect e2fslibs e2fsprogs findutils
gcc-4.1-base grep gzip hostname initscripts libacl1 libattr1 libblkid1
libc6 libcap1 libcomerr2 libdb4.3 libdevmapper1.02 libgcc1
liblocale-gettext-perl libncurses5 libpam-modules libpam-runtime
libpam0g libselinux1 libsepol1 libslang2 libss2 libstdc++6
libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl
libuuid1 login lsb-base makedev mawk mktemp mount ncurses-base
ncurses-bin passwd perl-base procps sed sysv-rc sysvinit
sysvinit-utils tar tzdata util-linux zlib1g adduser apt apt-utils
aptitude bsdmainutils cpio cron cyrus-sasl2-doc debian-archive-keyring
dhcp3-client dhcp3-common dmidecode ed gnupg gpgv groff-base ifupdown
info iptables iputils-ping klogd laptop-detect libbz2-1.0 libconsole
libdb4.2 libdb4.4 libgcrypt11 libgdbm3 libgnutls13 libgpg-error0
libldap2 liblzo1 libncursesw5 libnewt0.52 libopencdk8 libpopt0
libreadline5 libsasl2 libsasl2-2 libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libssl0.9.8
libtasn1-3 libusb-0.1-4 libwrap0 logrotate man-db manpages
module-init-tools nano net-tools netbase netcat openbsd-inetd
readline-common sysklogd tasksel tasksel-data tcpd traceroute
update-inetd vim-common vim-tiny wget whiptail

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/