Re: emdebian-tools failed to install on ubuntu?

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 10:53:39 +0800
Niu Kun <haoniukun@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone come across such a problem?
> The package fails to install in the post install script.

It cannot identify which suite/distribution is in use. It is looking
for one of the Debian names (stable, testing, unstable, etch, lenny,
sid) because only these are supported by the Emdebian repository. I
have no idea how to map those to Ubuntu releases.

Without a suite, it cannot set the correct URL for the Emdebian apt
source.

I have no idea whether an Emdebian stable, testing or unstable
cross-compiling toolchain would be installable on any particular Ubuntu
release - the dependencies could get out of control. (It's hard enough
keeping the Emdebian toolchains installable on Debian, let alone Ubuntu
as well.)

Someone in Ubuntu would need to take responsibility for maintaining the
emdebian-tools package and the toolchains - if you want to do this, I
would appreciate your input. From the current SVN, try mapping gutsy to
sid or lenny in the postinst. Use svn-buildpackage to create a test
package containing your changes. Ubuntu is never 100% in sync with
Debian, it tends to follow testing more than unstable (because of the
time delays). I wouldn't expect the gcc-4.2 Emdebian toolchains to be
installable in Gutsy but you can try. gcc-4.2 is available in Gutsy but
it is a Ubuntu version so there's no telling if the Emdebian toolchains
would install, let alone compile usable code on an Ubuntu base.

The alternative is to create a Debian chroot and use the tools there
(that is what I do for boxes running Etch).