Re: Status for non constrained embedded systems

Thanks Wooky.  More questions/comments below :)

Wookey wrote:
On 2007-05-10 10:59 +1000, Brendan Simon wrote:
Other things like GTK+ are also of interest to an iPAQ but not necessarily other types of embedded systems.

[Just a bit of quibbling - I take your general point]:

I'd have thought GTK was pretty widely needed - most systems with
a GUI (except the _really_ embedded ones that might use
somethinglighter wieght).

Network equipment is generally controlled and managed by a network management workstation that has a GUI as a standalone app and talk to the device via some other protocol (eg. SNMP). Another alternatives is http/s. The GUI is not on the device.

The ipAQ is a focus because Neil has one. I wouldn't call it 'deeply
embedded' myself, although by dint of age his model is headed that way
:-) It's certainly toward the lower-resource end.

Understood and appreciated.

At the moment it seems to moving very  quickly which is great, but also risky.

That's a fair summary.
It most definately is targetted to meet your needs, so if it doesn't
something is wrong. The other possible way to do what you want is use scratchbox.

All you should have to do is install emdebian-tools, emsource each
package you want then make it cross-build (and check the results back
in to emdebian svn - I can sort you out access). This last step varies
from trivial to epic depending on package. Most are fairly painless.

Ideally the changes you need to make can be filed as upstream
cross-compile bugs rather than kept as emdebian patches.

If you want it stable for Q4 then you will need to put some work in,
exactly how much depends on how many packages you need, and how many
others get involved.

The other thing I would like is to use packages from a stable distro (Etch). I thought I read somewhere that everything is happening with Lenny/Sid packages. Is that correct?

Can Etch packages be used?

Thanks, Brendan.