Re: server updated to etch, and emdebian bugs system query

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:20:19 +1000
Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:

> Does the bug tracker have to run on the Emdebian server?
>
> Why can't it just be another project on a big bug tracking system
> that is managed and maintained by someone.  I would have thought
> that's the way all Debian projects worked, but I'm just guessing.

You mean make emdebian a pseudo-package of the Debian BTS? I quite like
that idea.

By all means use the BTS for bugs in emdebian-tools and apt-cross. We
could have an emdebian-www pseudo package for our website/wiki pages
and emdebian or emdebian-project for general issues or problems with our
built packages etc.

This would make it easy to resassign bugs that may turn out to be
because of problems with cross-building support within Debian packages
or to support feedback to Debian maintainers about how cross-building
can be made easier for their packages.

Personally, I wouldn't like to use Bugzilla for Emdebian. (Used it for
gnucash, didn't like it.)

> > A bug tracker would be a good idea for emdebian.

Some form of bug tracker is going to become essential, IMHO.

> > Zumbi set
> > up emdebian.org/bugs a while back, which is an instance of the
> > debian bug database. To use this we need to set up email, which has
> > a certain admin overhead due to spam.
> >
> > Does anyone have strong opinions about whether we should use the
> > standard debian bug system (primiarily driven through email) or use
> > something else, with a web-only interface?

By the end of the SoC, the BTS could have a new web interface.
Reimplementing those may or may not be a good idea depending on how the
SoC works out, there may be a Debian package that includes the updates.
Nevertheless, spam will be a huge drag on a copy of the BTS.

> > I think the sensible thing is to use the standard debian stuff, but
> > I am a bit concerned about how I will have yet another server to
> > fight spam on, which is a great way of wasting time.

Especially as the Debian BTS is currently under a renewed spam attack.