Progress on (and problems with) toolchains

This started as a midnight hack session at Fosdem, so here's an update:

Some progress but we aren't fully updated yet. The migration of the
data from my local test installation to the Emdebian server went
without a hitch :-)

1. New comparison pages to show where we are behind Debian (testing and
unstable) with our toolchains: (live data from the Emdebian toolchain
repository).

http://www.emdebian.org/toolchains/testing.html
http://www.emdebian.org/toolchains/unstable.html

Yes, the picture isn't ideal - i386 data might still be lagging behind
actual buildd status but I'm working on that. (Hector: what is the
status of the build-mine tree in i386-unstable? Can you/I migrate those
packages into the main buildcross tree?)

2. Detailed comparisons for those involved in managing the toolchains /
buildcross and other interested parties:
http://www.emdebian.org/toolchains/testing-detail.html
http://www.emdebian.org/toolchains/unstable-detail.html

3. The scripts will be automated but not yet. Daily runs will build new
versions as Debian updates, install the new versions into unstable,
update the reports and migrate old versions into our testing at the
same time as the same versions migrate into Debian testing via our own
version of britney.

5. The scripts are capable of requesting the missing packages via
buildcross. Hector: what is the best way to call buildcross to build,
say gcc-4.0 on i386?

6. There are problems that have fixes pending - the quickest solution
overall is to try to get fresh builds (of the current Debian versions,
as shown on the above pages) for relevant buildcross targets (mainly
gcc-3.3 and gcc-4.0) on i386, amd64 and powerpc. i386 and amd64 can be
done internally. Where the testing version differs from the unstable
version, BOTH will need to be built.

6a. There is a bug in the scripts handling amd64 == x86-64 causing a
spurious '64' listing. That will be fixed soon.

7. Note that Simon Richter has noticed a problem with the current
toolchains - some kernel images compiled with the amd64 toolchains are
failing to boot. I suspect this was due to problems with Architecture:
all packages being repeatedly rebuilt at the same Debian version for
different toolchains. The affected packages have now been updated and
all Architecture: all packages are synchronised within unstable and
within testing.

7a: In due course, a script based on edos-debcheck will run these
checks automatically. Unfortunately, edos-debcheck isn't in Sarge - I
haven't checked for a backport yet.

8. These reports have been generated from the CURRENT Emdebian
toolchain repository. I've checked the repository with edos-debcheck
for installability and the toolchains that are up to date should be
installable without problems. Let me know.

The final result is intended to allow the toolchains to automatically
track Debian. Emdebian will track unstable by getting packages built by
buildcross at the same time as Debian (via a daily cron job that also
outputs the HTML reports above). Emdebian also tracks britney in Debian
via the same cache comparison script - if the correct version exists in
our unstable, it will be migrated to testing when the Debian package
migrates.

When the Emdebian BTS is working, the script could check for a RC bug
in our BTS that could arise from the edos-debcheck tests or from direct
reports of problems with the toolchain package. Right now, Emdebian
testing does not have that protection (nor did it have such protection
originally).

powerpc is currently delayed due to hardware problems (a broken fan on
Simon's buildd). emchain is recommended for powerpc toolchains. The one
powerpc toolchain (for arm) in the Emdebian repository was built with
emchain and is up to date.