Re: Building cross armel toolchain

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 00:45:47 +0000
Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk> wrote:

> b) install cross linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6 glibc6 glibc6-dev (with dpkg-cross/apt-cross) from Lennert's ADS repository.
> This required a bit of hand-tending, because apt-cross 'download, cross and install'
> and dpkg-cross 'build and install in one go' gave me whinges (I haven't investigated quite why).

What kind of whinges?

Could it be the bug that Hector asked me to fix at Fosdem where the
--arch specified to apt-cross wasn't being passed down to dpkg-cross?
That's fixed in the version of apt-cross in the Emdebian toolchain
repository (0.0.7).

> echo armel > debian/target
> DEB_CROSS_INDEPENDENT=yes dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -B -rfakeroot

emchain uses:
GCC_TARGET=$arch DEB_CROSS_INDEPENDENT=yes debian/rules control
GCC_TARGET=$arch DEB_CROSS_INDEPENDENT=yes dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us
-rfakeroot

> which goes OK building a load of stuff until it tries to link with glibc, when we get:
> /usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/libc.so.6: file not recognized: File format not recognized

/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/ ? shouldn't that be /usr/armel-linux-gnu/ ?

Have you tried using emchain after manually setting the
~/.dpkg-cross/cross-compile file to specify the new armel architecture?
emchain doesn't care *what* string is put in default_arch, as long as
dpkg-cross can handle it. I'll add a note to the manpage to the effect
that the list presented by debconf is just the most common /
predictable options.

dpkg-cross will override the debconf setting if a
~/.dpkg-cross/cross-compile file exists, allowing you to retain a
default and still use different selections from time to time.