Re: Re: Problems building gcc-4.1 from etch testing. 'debian/rules control' fails because no FFI or GFDL files in

Wartan,

Thanks for the reply. On closer look, I was attributing the failure of 'dpkg-buildpackage' to the benign errors in the 'debian/rules control' script as you pointed out.

Instead, my problem was with unmet dependencies to build gcc, specifically,

dpkg-buildpackage: source package is gcc-4.1
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 4.1.1ds1-13
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture i386
dpkg-buildpackage: source version without epoch 4.1.1ds1-13
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libc6-dev-ppc64-powerpc-cross (>= 2.3.6-7)
dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.
dpkg-buildpackage: (Use -d flag to override.)

I installed crosses of the following libraries to fill in the missing dependencies

lib64gcc1_4.1.1-13_powerpc.deb
libc6-ppc64_2.3.6.ds1-4_powerpc.deb
libc6-dev-ppc64_2.3.6.ds1-4_powerpc.deb

Now dpkg-buildpackage doesn't complain about dependencies, but still fails to build due to

checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for library containing gettext... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
make[3]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cross-toolchain/gcc-4.1-4.1.1ds1/build'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cross-toolchain/gcc-4.1-4.1.1ds1/build'
s=`cat status`; rm -f status; test $s -eq 0
make[1]: *** [stamps/05-build-stamp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cross-toolchain/gcc-4.1-4.1.1ds1'
make: *** [stamps/05-build-stamp] Error 2

Some searching around the web brought me to these bug reports

http://bugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=334626
http://bugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=334673

which deal with a change to binutils dealing with some form of 64 bit patch. The binutils I have is later than the one specified as fixed, but to my eye the fix seemed like it might be specific to amd64 bit platforms.

Would you happen to know if I am simply missing some additional cross library that handles 'gettext', or if the bug report I found for binutils also applies to ppc64 in some currently unpatched way. I'm wondering if there is a way I could just build without the 64bit PPC support alltogether, as I don't need it. Any additional help you could give to get me further along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

-Jim Heck