Debian cross infrastructure maintenance proposal

Hello.

This is a short proposal regarding establishing of a Debian Cross
Interest Group -- a team of maintainers tracking all of the packages
(or parts of packages) relevant for cross-compilation procedures on
Debian systems (and for Debian systems).

List of packages to maintain
------------------------------------
1. binutils
   Here, we have to maintain a patch by yoush that adds an option to
build cross binutils, suitable for use together with cross gcc. It is
not clear whether binutils maintainers would like to include it in the
package -- at least, we have to maintain the patch against the most
recent version (in the buglog of appropriate whishlist item).

2. gcc
   Here, we have to maintain patches against gcc source package,
which add the ability to produce cross-compilers out of Debian gcc.
Currently, patches exist against all major versions of gcc in Debian.
Our task is to keep track of gcc package development and update these
patches accordingly, collaborating with debian-gcc team.

3. dpkg-cross
  Here, we have to maintain and develop dpkg-cross itself and its package.

Optional: dpkg
  We might step into trouble involved in pushing our ideas regarding
additional architectures to dpkg :)

Plus, of course, all relevant READMEs and documentation.

How are we going to do that?
-------------------------------------
debian-embedded@l.d.o (or should we ask for a new list, specifically for that?)
is going to be in Maintainer: field of dpkg-cross, and in various documentation
bits (plus, of course, particular members in Uploaders, where relevant).

Who's involved?
--------------------
Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@debian.org>
Alexander Shishckin <alexander.shishckin@gmail.com>
Raphael Bossek <bossekr@debian.org>
Wartan Hachaturow <wart@debian.org>

Preliminary TODO
-------
1. Check relevance of the current patches against binutils and gcc, update
if needed, announcing changes to the structure to debian-gcc.
2. Merge patches to dpkg-cross (apt-build support, additional arches),
test, upload.
3. Revise documentation for dpkg-cross and gcc's cross part.
4. Check and test additional patches to the abovementioned packages
coming from Slind, propose for inclusion, if found interesting.
5. Create wiki page for discussions and stuff.

So, this is it, shortly.
Discussion, ideas and volunteers welcome.

--
Regards, Wartan.