Re: focus for Embedded Debian

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 06:49:38PM -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> * Host development tools integrated into Debian's main repository
> whenever possible. (cross-toolchains not possible?)

Yes, that's a bit tricky, since toolchains are big and having prebuilt
crosscompiler toolchains for all architecture combinations makes the
space requiremens explode. IMO Integration to Debian can be achieved by
shipping in debian easy to use crosscompiler creation scripts.

> Agreed. As I side note, I think it's a good idea to package u-boot's
> "mkimage" tool, necessary to create kernel images suitable for this
> bootloader (uImage). I have a local package for it, I can fill an ITP
> for it if necessary.

this would be abn extra point..

* All popular free software for embedded (uboot, redboot, etc) should be
  available in debian

as for uboot/uImage, would you like to maintain it yourself, or would
creating a "Emdebian packaging team" to maintain this and similar
packages make sense?

> My feel is that people from Ubuntu are concentrated ATM on fixing and polishing
> dapper (Ubuntu next release's codename), so maybe I'll restart
> discussions there only after the release... For now, I'm pushing my
> work into Debian, starting by flooding qemu's BTS with patches :)

Well my personal hope is that embedded debian and ubuntu can remain
close to each others, and use the same tools etc. Fixing qemu is
naturally going to help absolutely everyone =)

> As always: documentation. I've contributed two HOWTOs related to
> EmDebian (they are on the Wiki). It would be good if new features are
> followed by easy-to-follow HOWTOs, which in future would serve as
> material for a guide.

The tough part with documentation is to keep it upto date..

> PS: I see you have proposed a BoF for Debconf6 regarding Scratchbox2
> [1]. Do you have any development done (even highly experimental) in
> this regard?

I saw your mail on sbox-devel mailing list, I'll answer that and
crosspost it on this list so archive searchers can find them in
future :)