Re: using apt and aptitude for cross-building

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:35:53PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Charles Stevenson a écrit :

> >On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 08:36:01AM +1100, Geoff O'Callaghan wrote:
> >

> >>ah ok, sorry, didn't read the initial part :-(   Anyway, yes I suffer
> >>similiar issues and end up wget-ing packages from packages.debian.org
> >>
> >>not ideal.
> >>

> >That's also how I retrieve my packages.  I basically ripped the
> >code out of debootstrap and d-i.  It works ;-)
> >

>    Hi all,
>
>    I've installed an nfsroot Sarge system for my mvme2300. I installed
> the cross tool-chain from EmDebian onto my workstation, then the
> kernel-2.6 source from the Debian repository. Cross
> compilation worked fine and the kernel was running well (with a few
> warnings) with my old
> Potato filesystem. Then I installed debootstrap by brute force onto the
> Potato filesystem,
> using wget and dpkg -i --force-depends. Then debootstrap ran properly
> and I could follow roughly
> the procedure written in the debootstrap manpage. However the new
> filesystem was unable
> to boot properly without an inittab file, which was not installed by
> debootstrap and which I
> still don't know in which package to find. I just copied it from Potato
> to Sarge and it worked.
>
>    There was a lot of work to do in the chroot session before beeing
> able to login after a
> boot to the new filesystem: essentially install apt and then use it to
> install all the packets
> whose name contains "base", plus the "pam" system. Then copy hosts,
> resolv.conf hostname, passwd, shadow, group, gshadow into /etc. From
> that point I had a pure Debian filesystem in which I was
> able to login and I could install much more using the wonderfull package
> management system.
>
>    As you see, building the filesystem was rather painfull (I ommitted
> some tricks in the story
> above). And what if I had not already a running Potato system? Thanks to
> this discussion thread
> I discovered the possibilities given by apt's config file but it is not
> clear to me wether it can do it
> or not.
>
>    Once you have this installed, I don't see the point with docs: docs
> dont reside in ram; they're
> on an inexpensive nfs-mounted disk. I understand the point about
> circular depencencies
> but there is no problem if your system is "dpkg-consistent". Of course I
> am speaking as a Debian
> customer, not as a developper!
>
>    Gabriel, since you listen to this list, have you ported your VME
> driver to kernel 2.6 or
> are you planning to do it ?

I did a very preliminary version in April. It worked
but there have been many changes in the kernel since
then, the BitKeeper to git transition and the ppc and
ppc64 architectures merging into powerpc. Because
of this last issue, I'm somehow waiting for things
to stabilize. I don't even know whether current
kernels boot on my MVME machines or not (the ppc
flavor might, the powerpc almost certainly not).

Besies that, I'm really busy on other urgent issues
for the next 3 months.

	Regards,
	Gabriel