emdebian-tools

SVN 364 includes a developing emdebian-tools package that is working,
under certain conditions.

1. dependency checking is a little problematic.
2. Manual editing of debian/control and debian/rules is likely to be
required. Particular attention is needed for udeb packages. Do we want
to build them? (No?) Ever? Each udeb I have tried has failed but I
haven't tried particularly hard to see why, yet.
3. $arch.cache files are not included or handled - these are likely to
remain hand-edited. I'll add some docs or a manpage to explain how.
4. Currently, prepared patches are put in the directory above the
source directory - more for safe keeping than anything else. Future
versions will check debian/patches and choose an appropriate number
prefix for all patches EXCEPT emdebian-rules.patch which is to be
stored in our SVN (not done yet). This will mean enabling dpatch in
packages that do not support it, which will be fun to automate. :-)
5. I will also optimise the apt-cross handling because right now the
process tends to download the same archives more than once.

Q. Is emdebian-tools meant for the main Debian archive? (Currently it
is 0.0.1em1 so it's expecting to be in the emdebian tools repository.)

I've included full manpages but if there are issues, please let me
know. Basically, the process is:

apt-get source foo=1.2.3-1
cd foo-1.2.3/
em_make
emdebuild

(Actually, emdebuild will run em_make for you if you haven't done so
already but in most cases, some editing is required between running
em_make and emdebuild.)

To see what is going on, increase the verbosity with -v or -v -v for
very verbose. Passing -v or -v -v to em_make or emdebuild also
increases the verbosity of tools called by em_make or emdebuild.

Using foo=1.2.3-1 ensures that you get the Debian source and .diff.gz -
just in case there is an existing emdebian package in one of your
sources (which is likely to happen if you have my repository in your
sources).

A successful emdebuild prints the contents of the generated .changes
file at the end of the run.

Details of emdebian-tools:

Package: emdebian-tools
 A collection of scripts to ease cross-building Debian packages for
 Emdebian, reducing package size, separating translations into
 individual files and handling dependencies.
 .
 em_make : Emdebianise a Debian package. Creates suitable changelog
 entries, omits certain debhelper scripts from debian/rules and
 maintains a patchset for emdebian. Removes all documentation packages
 from debian/control.
 .
 emlocale : Moves all translations out of the Debian package(s) and into
 individual locale packages, allowing the embedded user to only install
 the translations that are relevant to that system. First run is via
 em_make, subsequent runs update the list of available translation
 packages.
 .
 emdebuild : Emdebian version of debuild that handles cross-building the
 emdebianised tree. Requires a suitable cross-building toolchain to be
 installed for the requested architecture, e.g. gcc-4.1-arm-linux-gnu,
 available from the emdebian tools repository.
 .
 Homepage: http://www.emdebian.org/

:-)

P.S. Expect apt-cross=0.0.5 in Debian tonight, fixing the dependency bug.