Re: emchain: Automated toolchain builder

On 06/11/06 22:18:06, Jim Heck - Sun Microsystems wrote:
Neil,

Let me first say that all the recent work being done is great. I really hope to be able to use a lot of this stuff very soon.

More haste, less speed. Things are moving quckly (too quickly in some areas) but there are significant hurdles still to be overcome.

Do I understand correctly that emchain will build only a gcc-4.1 compiler (the latest).

Yes. There will be *no* support for anything except the current Debian default compiler chain. When gcc-4.2 becomes the default, that will replace 4.1 in the emchain build and so on. (4.2 is already in experimental and emchain correctly ignores 4.2 and will continue to do so until 4.2 is moved into unstable.) Same for binutils and libc.

emdebian is less affected by these transitions because the upstream packages for emdebian must already have built successfully in Debian. (i.e. Debian does the work for us - aren't they/we nice!)

 Is there a way to be able to build a gcc-3.4
compiler, which is still required for building 2.4.x kernels?

From the original message:
buildcross is for developers who may need more than one version of gcc available for cross-building.

(You can also read that as: "may need any other version".)

Emdebian is likely to use a 2.6 kernel - although saying that, recent work has not even looked at issues around a kernel (any kernel), yet.
:-)

Does anyone have a formula for creating a working gcc-3.4 toolchain, preferrably one that is paired to work with one of the latest 2.4.x kernels (like 2.4.33) (I note that stable has a package kernel-headers-2.4.27-powerpc. Is this useful in some way?)

buildcross is Hector's script.

Hector?