Question about GNU toolchain

Hello,

Im following the procedure from http://www.emdebian.org/tools/crosstools.html
under the section "Install a toolchain from sources", and Im having some
questions regarding this.

Im using Kubuntu 6.06 as my host and build plattforum, and the target is a
mipsel plattform running Sarge stable.

1. The biggest problem, really, is determining what kind of <arch> flag the
different tools will accept. Some need mipsel, some need mipsel-linux and
some even need mipsel-linux-gnu afaics. Can someone clarify this?

2. I originally built binutils with TARGET=mipsel-linux, and the deb package
install the files to /usr/mipsel-linux/... This of course raises problems
when Im using dpkg-cross, which insist on installing
into /usr/mipsel-linux-gnu/... Is the correct approach to use
TARGET=mipsel-linux-gnu, or is there any way to change where dpkg-cross
installs into?

(Just some FYI: The target packages Im using for dpkg-cross on my host is
mipsel packages from sarge stable)

3. Im having a hard time building gcc-4.1.1 (any version really), because I am
unable to pass arguments to the configure script being run by the makefile
debian/rules.

Im building with the command:
GCC_TARGET=mipsel DEB_CROSS_BOOTSTRAP=yes
dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot -b -d

And after alot of compiling, I get the error:

../../../src/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:1: warning: -fstack-protector not supported
for this target
../../../src/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:55: warning: function declaration isn't a
prototype
../../../src/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:55: error: conflicting types for 'malloc'

So I assume I need to disable fstack-protector somehow, but how do I pass
additional configure arguments to dpkg-buildpackage without modifying the
debian/rules file?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,
Frank