how to make a *working* base filesystem?

I want to install Debian on Freecom FSG-3 router (it's arm-based).

I compiled the kernel, flashed it and it boots, so far fine.

The trouble is with the base filesystem.

I created sarge filesystem (for arm) with debootstrap on a x86 machine.

However, I can't login via a serial console when I boot it - when I try to login, it says "permission denied" right after I type any user name and press Enter.

A quick investigation showed that I don't have passwd/group/shadow files.

So I copied them from a working system, but still, the system doesn't let me in and says "permission denied".

How can I create a working base filesystem (I need to login, then I can fix everything myself)?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org