Re: Questions on Single Board Computers

WOW,

I believe it's not so easy do design what you are looking for
A lot of things should be considered (not last the final weight of
the whole box and the huge quantity of wires ....)

Some tips:
- For data transfer I'll consider LVDS data link
- If I have well understand you are going to do PWM for each
LED !?
I believe it's better to look at the way a standard LCD monitor works (It should have a matrix driving method)

Regards
Marco Tozzini

P.S.
Let me know your final solution

Frank wrote:
Try gumstix.com. You might have to add an expansion board or
two, but from the looks of your post, you appear capable of
doing that...

--- Mark Allyn <allyn@well.com> wrote:

Hello:

I need some help trying to select a single board computer
for a project that I am engaged in.

The single board computer will be driving an array of
approximatley
400 to 500 tri-color LED's that will be sewn into a piece of
clothing.
Each tri color LED has emitters for red, blue, and green.
These three
colors are combined to form any other color.

This means that I will have about 1200 to  1500 individual
light
levels to control in real time.

Further, as this is a piece of clothing, it needs to run on a
12
volt battery. I will not have access to the mains.

I plan to use a serial packet transmission to get the
brightness
information to each LED. I am currently designing the receive
(using
verilog and most likely a Xilinx CPLD for the packet receive
and
pulse width modulation to perform the dimming (LED brightness
control
is said to be the best then done by pulse width modulation).
That
part of the project I see no problem. There is already a
lighting
control protocol, called DMX, for which I have already created
verilog HDL for implementation.

The areas that I need help in is finding and assembling a
suitable
main processor. First of all, I need some serial bus
(something like
RS485) that can have one transmitter driving about 100
receivers. I
know that RS485 is limited to 32 receivers. Can this be
expanded? Is
there another serial interface that can have a single
transmitter drive
up to 100 receivers? I am only concerned about one way; there
is
no feedback required from the receivers (lamps) back to the
main processor. From the looks of things; I will need three or
four such serial drivers on my main processor unit.

Also, I am looking for a main processor unit (most likely as
SMB) that
can do the following things:

Be able to drive up to 1500 individual light levels (0-255
steps of
brightness for each one) at a rate so that each one can be
refreshed
once every 60 seconds.

Would have either a wireless or wired network port so that I
can
access it to program it and make changes to the software.

It must run Linux; use open source tools and software; I don't
want
to have to to $X,000's for commerical software. Preferably, I
would
like to see it run/be programmed from Debian/Ubunto/Mepis or
some
other Debian derivitive.

Either have, or can accomodate a module with an FPGA; at some
point,
I want to incorporate an Audio A/D and audio signal analysis.
I would
like to drive my display on music; both on amplitude and
frequency
spectral images.

I have done some looking through Linuxdevices.com. I do see a
wide
variety of devices there, but I cant seem to find anything
with
multiple RS485 interfaces. Perhaps this is asking for a bit
much
and I will have to design a suitable I/O driver (again, using
CPLD's
or FPGA's.

What I don't want are disk drives, fancy graphcis controlers,
fancy
audio drivers (I am doing a/d; not d/a and driving sound); CD
drives;
SATA / IDE ports; whatever. Many of the devices seem to come
with these
as a default. All I need would be something to drive a small
(perhaps
something like a 4" by 4" inch) touch screen.

It seems to me that PC/104 is a standard for these SBC's. Is
this the
case? I also see something called EBX.

Have any of you have undergone a project similar to this? Have
any
one of you been particularly happy/unhappy with any paticular
vendor
or device for a project similar in scope as this one?

I am willing to spend up to $1000 for the main processor, if
that
is what it takes. I am a bit confused at the diversity of
pricing.
I see stuff from GAO Engineering, for example, that is priced
around
$1500 for something that does not look that much better than
others
I see for around $100 to $200.

I am willing to do all of the programming myself (or look for
other
open source programming to use). If I need to come up with a
daughtor
board, I am willing to do the design myself provided I get
open enough
documentation on interfacing with the SBC.

If this is not the currect forum for this kind of question,
perhaps
can someone please refer me to where I can go with these types
of
questions?

Thank you all for your help.

Respectfuly,