Re: Debian Mini-distro: how to recompile base-system and remove Java?

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 10:58, Chris Boot wrote:
> gcc-3.3 depends on gettext which depends on fastjar which is built by
> gcc-3.4

> If one cuts out Java, gettext is that much smaller and easier to
> build, and so is gcc. Simple really.

If you are not going to use gettext or gcc on your target system, there is
little point of compiling it for the target system.. If you use a scratchbox
style crosscompiling enviroinment, gettext (and gcc too..) is already
available as host tools. Thus you'll only need to recompile stuff you
actually use, not all the build-dependencies too..

> Just make a list of everything you have installed and rebuild each
> package one-by-one until you've covered everything. I can't see where
> the problem is.

Doing things by hand is just boring. We have computers to do the repetitive
tasks for us ;)