Re: arm cross tools for sid/etch

+++ Sam Clegg [06-05-15 11:14 +0100]:
> Hello emdebian,
>
> I am a happy consumer of the the arm tool chain from
> http://www.emdebian.org/.  Great work!

Glad you found it useful. I like it too.

> I was just wondering what the policy in on keeping the sid/etch
> packages install-able?  I understand that is not possible to always
> be up-to-date but the 4.1 packages haven't been install-able for
> quite a while:

The idea has been (for a while) to have the common toolchains available and
up to date for stable, testing and unstable, but this has proved difficult
to actualy do, and whilst most of the infrastructure is now there, there is
still some work needed to make the system build new compilers each time
debian uploads a new one, and to fix the patches when they get stale.

After the recent Emdebian work session we have decided to start using the
SLind patches rather than the bare Nikita patches, as they provide uclibc
functionality and fix some bugs/are still maintained.

> Also, are there currently any plans for cross tools in debian
> proper?

We have got preliminary agreement for Debian main to provide a set of
cross-compilers as part of the normal packages which will cover most needs.
Doing this will mean that we don't need to maintain our own parallel set.

> Would help working these be useful, or should I just be more
> parient.

Help would be very useful. Developer time is the only thing stopping the
situation improve (faster). I am also waiting on latest SLIND patches being
posted (<prod>). There is likely to be some action on either getting the SLIND
patches into debian main or updating the emdebian.org infrastructure this
week as we are at debconf, working on stuff like this.