pthread question

Hi All,
I have a question regarding pthreads that you might be able to answer.
When I change the priority of a thread does it apply to the thread I'm starting as well as the "parent" (main_program) thread?
I've set the priority to max and select a RR policy and for one it hangs my console and it doesn't do anything. Basically I'm trying to RR the the main_program and the thread_2 program at the highest priority.
Does boot need to be the same priority?

Any advice/suggestions?

Much thanks.
--Robbie