Re: focus for Embedded Debian

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:57:53PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> What I think an embedded linux developer typically needs from
> their distro:
>
> * a selected minimal set of packages
>   - glibc/uclibc + busybox/gnu userland
>   - with prebuilt rootfs's for popular architectures
> * easy way to crosscompile their own applications and add them
>   to their rootfs
>   - where "own" application might be something like apache2
>   - with whatever happens to be the most hot toolchain at that
>     moment
> * various easy ways to test and debug the system

I just joined this list a few days before you posted this.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to set up a build environment for a PowerPC-based embedded
system that's already running Linux.  I'd like to stay within the
"Debian way" of doing things (.debs for all the cross-development
tools and libraries on the build machine, for example).

I've used toolchain-source to build a glibc-based cross-gcc, but I'm
stuck trying to get it integrated with a cross-version of uclibc.
If anyone has any pointers or HOWTO'S, I'd appreciate it.