Language Support

Hi,
I'm trying to understand how language support works. I just have a few small questions.
What's the purpose of the languages in the kernel? It is for kernel messages or for user level programs?

Say I use truetype fonts and want to display spanish and english texts, at what point does the translation occurs? Do I have to manually determing the fonts to be used?
Or do I just use Unicode and use some traslation routine?

Thanks for your help.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com