Re: Embeddded Debian meetup @ Extremadura

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 4:22 pm, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Guys:
> > * promote DEBUILD_OPTIONS=nodocs flag for not building docs
>
> Stupid question, but it be more appropriate to promote separate *-doc
> packages instead?

It's a question of degree. Packages go for a separate doc package when they
have, say, 1Mb of docs or where the docs are >50% of the total package size.
A nodocs flag would allow us to take out unwanted data from packages that
individually may only have a 'small' amount of doc files but which, together,
account for a large amount of installation space. If there are 50 packages
with only 20k of docs each, it's better to have a flag that takes out the 20k
in each one, just for us, than to put an extra 50 small -doc packages into
the main Debian archive.

What are considered 'essential' docs, anyway?

ChangeLog.gz, AUTHORS, COPYING (typically a symlink to one copy of common
licences), README, manpages? - anything else? I can't see myself why we'd
want TODO, NEWS etc.

If the app has an about box that includes this info, is that preferable? Does
that mean the files themselves can be removed?