Re: Pushing binary toolchains in Debian?

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 22:39 +0200, Henrion Benjamin wrote:

> I don't know if it's possible to only maintain binaries for x86 and ppc.
>
> You can cover most embedded arch with few compilers (ppc, arm, mips,
> etc...)
>
> Providing those binary toolchains would ease the production and tests.
>
> > > Those who need particular cross-toolchain could easilly build it, either as
> > > deb or otherwise.
> >
> > Nikita,
> > you can use the package toolchain-source, this will build the toolchain
> > as debian packages for the architecture you want. You will also need
> > binutils-multiarch.
>
> It is better to do not spend 2 hours building a toolchain.
>
> Reusing common available toolchains is better.

Maybe it would make sense to have toolchains for the most common targets
(powerpc, arm, mips) and the most common build architectures (i386,
powerpc) in some archive. It does not have to be the debian archive.
Maybe somewhere on emdebian.org?

Greetings,
Oliver