Re: Diversion of APT tools by dpkg-cross (apt-get,apt-cache,apt-config)

Raphael Bossek <raphael.bossek@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a active member of the dpkg-cross package part of the www.emdebian.org project.
>
> A long outstanding feature request was to support APT for dpkg-cross. The realisation
> result in diversion of apt-get, apt-cache and apt-config which is our CVS pending for
> a new release to experimental as soon as the APT wrapper is stable.
>
> The Debian Policy Manaual advice me to discuss this diversion here. Please feel free
> to comment the consequences of this diversion.
>
> dpkg-cross provide a extension for apt-get, apt-cache and apt-config with the command
> line option -a|--arch where your cross-host architecture can be specified. This arch
> is by default your architecture your are developing for using a cross-compiler suite.
>
> If no architecture (-a|--arch) is specified the original implemenations apt-get,
> apt-cache and apt-config are executed instead so nothink changes for those uses who
> do not use this extension.
>
>>From my point of view the extension of the APT tools by diversion do not break today
> functionality. It was one gole not to break today functionality!
>
> --
> Raphael Bossek

We were thinking of using -a|--arch for multiarch support in the
future to tell apt to prefer a certain architecture on install.

apt-get -a i386 install bash zsh screen ...

instead of the longer

apt-get install bash:i386 zsh:i386 screen:i386 ...

MfG
        Goswin