Re: chroot setup howto

On Monday 31 January 2005 17:33, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> > a) the cvs didn't work most of the time (cvs login timed out on 4 out of
> > 5 tries)
>
> Fortunately CVS worked fine for me.  Hopefully you're using the
> instructions here:
> http://www.emdebian.org/docs/cvs.html
i know how to work with a cvs. i must have been unlucky in the 2 days when i
tried the repository.

> Our target OS is embedded Debian Sarge, although it appears to me that
> EmDebian is actually Potato.  If this is the case, I have wasted my time
> here
idem for me.

the CVS page it is steaded out clearly that the sources contain potato. the
question is: is the web-page outdated or are the coders for emdebian really
working for the stable branch?

> Agree, although I would modify this to be:
> a.  Create a tool chain for cross compilation;
> b.  Create a chroot environment for target, in nature of end-platform;
> c.  Create a root filesystem (Scratchbox does a, b, & c automatically,
> although it's not in the form of an image, and also no one here has used it
> before);
what is the difference between b) and c)? you have to create only 1 root
filesystem. the one for the target. how do you put it on the target platform
(NFS,flash, or whatever) is another question.

> Nice.  But how did you create the filesystem?  Using the UML instructions?
> Maybe I'll try this.
the UML is only used to emulate my target system's environment (root file
system).

the root file system is created by using debootstrap (downloads a minimal
packages for sarge, creates the root FS, installes the kernel etc.). then i
removed manually packages which sarge sees as a "must" but i don't".

now i created (not yet done) the kernel for my emedded system.

since my host and target systems are the same i assumed that i could run the
kernel for the embedded system in the vritual UML machine. (i have no clue if
i can create an UML machine for another prcessor type and run it on my
machene).

> > for now it is small enough beacause, in the final stage, i want to boot
> > my embedded system over NFS. my board has 128MB RAM, which is enough for
> > the kernel and my applications.
>
> Interesting.  Marc recommends NFS, but my nodes will have to be autonomous,
> so must have all on flash.  Plan to use CRam, for compression.
Marc was right, NFS will be used in the next steps. but i can't use NFS atm
because my BIOS doesn't suport boot over network. and for now i only want to
know if my kernel works on the hardware machine.

> > next steps ( not done so far, help/info appreciated):
> > * booting my prototyp from compact flash (over ide)
>
> Since you'd created your filesystem in an image, it would just take
> installing Grub into the bootblock, and burning the image to CF flash with
> something like:
> dd if={myimage} of=/dev/hde
do i really need a bootloader like lilo or grub for this?

> > * installing this kernel on the root filesystem
>
> Haven't you already done this, to have booted?  It would be mainly creating
> a /usr/src symlink to outside your UML, putting the kernel source there,
> and compiling -inside- your UML.
maybe i was not precise enough. i booted the out of the box the sarge kernel
in my UML for now. i was focusing to create a rootfs with the right packages
(files).

why the complicate way? to compile the kernel on my UML machine i would need
to install the toolchain there (which i want avoid). or create unwanted links
to outside filesystem (which i have ot remove/add whenevr i want a new kernel
again).

so i make a kernel debian package for the embedded system, copy it to the UML
system (a mount to hostfs is enough) and install it on the target with dpkg
-i).

--
Max Hofer
APUS Software G.m.b.H.