Emdebian action plan (DRAFT!)

Hello people,

As some of us discussed on IRC and it also had some kind of mention on
the mailing list it may be of use to start the discussion about some
action plan officialy. As most of us now there has not been much
progress the last few months as most of the "official" developers have
been busy doing other things.

Well ok, off to some plan proposal and a todo list.

The plan I proposed a while ago and for which I also announced a
scratchbox devkit :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2005/02/msg00013.html is pretty
similar to what Ed  Bartosh has just announced a few days ago on the
mailing list.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2005/11/msg00014.html

It is a what cleaner implementation of the ideas that were discussed
earlier.

So what is/was the plan? (Open for further discussion of course)

Adapted Debian tools so you can build/cross-compile debian packages or
adapted packages with an emdebian dir. (PS to Ed. Contrary to what you
wrote in your mail you could build debian and "emdebian" packages with
the same tools that were in the original STAG approach. The incarnation
that can be found in the devkit I mentioned earlier can even build some
kind of "reduced" package from the normal debian information)
As it seems at the moment the scratchbox environment seems to be a
primary target to try out these things. With the advantage that we can
ignore some cross-compilation issues, and that the tools are easily
usable natively too.

TODO

As Ed seems to have a working environment I guess we should start
working with that and improve it on the go.

Seems you got the "build base system" item finished Ed. Thanks!

hmmm, and the second item "ability to build a base rootfs" too!

One good thing would that he did not mention in his mail was adding
support for ignoring packaging documentation and man-pages in the
packages. A harder thing to do is actually making sure that the docs
don't even get build. And a way to avoid the circular dependencies that
exist due to this documentation building tools.

Set-up a buildd inside scratchbox (which should be possible as I heard
that it has already been done) to start building more packages. (This
will hopefully be possible when the emdebian server is back up). (Once I
find out how to silence my proliant server I might hook it up to my
internet line and provide a secondary build env)

Document setting up the buildd so people/devs can try it out for
themselves.

Integrate uclibc in the story. This will definitely give some size boost
toward smaller footprint to the packages.

Once we have proven that this works start pushing things into Debian
proper.

Optional :
-Make sure everything works with the successors of scratchbox\
-Check the ARM build of Ubuntu

Well I hope I can open a fruitfull discussion with this and hope to see
some more people starting to work on this.

Cheers,

Philippe

PS: I will personally make sure that people who get something well done
on this TODO list will get some Belgian beer!