Re: Debian on Linksys NSLU2 howto

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:21:35AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well so far Debian only has a little endian port for arm.  It is likely
> a lot of work to make a big endian one, but certainly doable (I believe
> someone has already made a big endian arm port of redhat).

Considering that even the current arm port seems to be lingering with
support issues amount of work to do should be not away from current arm
porters, but to bring new people to work. If bootstrapping a new port is
a huge amount of work, we (Debian) are clearly doing something wrong.

>From talkhing to people at debconf5, I understand that most arm hardware
is "natively" big endian, and you need explictly set the hardware to
little-endian. The main reason most people use arm in l-e mode is
because, well, most people use is in l-e mode and most prebuilt binaries
are l-e..

> Not sure how exited debian would be about yet another small time port. :)

It doesn't need to be in official, released debian to be usefull.