Re: dpkg-cross

+++ Nikita V. Youshchenko [04-06-03 23:02 +0400]:

> I've read somewhere in debian mailing lists archives that debian won't
> enable cross development tools build, because there are too many
> combinations, most of them are not needed by anybody, and buildd power is
> not infinite.

Which is fair enough, but it does make sense for emdebian to provide them
because nearly everyone here needs such tools.

> So the current approach is to use different debian/rules targets for
> cross-tools builds.
>
> > Being able to add emdebian to your sources and do apt-get install
> > task-arm-cross and then everything 'just works' is really useful.
>
> Currently:
> - - cross-binutils build ok and work for all debian archs as targets
> - - gcc-3.3 and 3.4 build ok for alpha, arm, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, and
> powerpc targets; hppa (both 3.3 and 3.4), s390 (both 3.3 and 3.4), and
> sparc (3.3 only) fail, I'll try to fix them in near future
> - - dpkg-cross 1.14.5 can convert base libraries (linux-lernel-headers,
> libdb1-compat, libc6, libc6-dev) for all debian archs.
> - - libgcc1-*-cross and libstdc++*-cross are created while cross-gcc is being
> built.
> So everything necessary for basic C and C++ development at least for 7
> mentioned targets seems to be ready.
>
> A simple script may be used to build a set of packages.
> One that I used for testing is attached (patch for gcc should not be needed
> with version currently in sid).

That looks perfect. But where is the binutils.cross patch it mentions? Sorry
if you've mentioned this before and I forgot already - I just failed to
find such a reference.