Re: dpkg-cross

> > One more thing with stag-addons: it provides some non-null information
> > in /var/lib/dpkg-embed/info and /var/lib/dpkg-embed/alternatives; this
> > information is not consistent with what is in
> > /var/lib/dpkg-embed/status. That's strange.
>
> Apparently I made a mistake there when packaging it probabely. It is
> just there to be able to use a seperate package database for your
> development host and your target system. (I had some nasty surprise when
> I overlooked that. Removing busybox and getting system files like init
> removed :) )

I understand what /var/lib/dpkg-embed is for.
I've just realized that you really should not provide any files
for /var/lib/dpkg-embed/ in the package. If you do, you will get your
configuration broken on stag-addons package upgrade/reinstallation.
Instead, you should create /var/lib/dpkg-embed/ stuff in postinst, if it
does not exist.

> > And about stag-get: it seems that it replaces /etc/apt/sources.list
> > and other files for a time; I believe it's a very bad idea, because it
> > will left host system broken if it's interrupted. Probably some games
> > with trap shell builtin may make situation a bit better, but still it
> > will be unsafe. On the other hand, apt allows to redefine almost any
> > parameter in command line or in a configuration file! You may make it
> > to use other files instead of /etc/apt/sources.list, /var/cache/apt/*,
> > etc, etc
> > I believe this should be used instead of altering important system
> > configuration files...
>
> I wrote that do do some quick test. It should indeed be re-implemented.
> Because of the reasons you mention, but also because of the limitations
> of the current wrapper, you can for example only select one package at a
> time. I howver did not find an option to let apt use other files, I
> probabely overlooked them.

See /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz for complete list of apt
configuration parameters.

> I'll try to find some time this weekend to test all your changes.

Looking forward for that.
I will probably add one more thing - ability to undefine variables defined
by default. Also it looks a good idea to document all set-by-default
variables somewhere - looks that there are many.
There is a wishlist bug filed requesting an option not to define those
vars.

Btw, David has created an alioth project for dpkg-cross, and my work is
already in alioth CVS :)

Nikita