Re: circular dependencies in debian -> impact on emdebian

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:36:53PM +0200, W. Borgert wrote:
> Quoting Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk>:
> > If we accept that we need to create modified emdebian/rules files, rather
> > than sticking with the standard debian ones and changing the build
> > environment,
> > then the problem of such barfs can be fixed in such modifications.
> >
> > I think we have accepted that we aren't going to be able to just use the
> > standard /rules because there are too many things we want to change.
>
> It would be good, if debian/ and emdebian/ wouldn't diverge too much.
> Wouldn't it be better to have a debian/emrules to prevent from this?
> (In constrast to having another directory emdebian.)
>
> Other point: Many people use CDBS nowadays, so that rules is often
> only three lines.  Maybe one could add emdebian support to CDBS?
> One could have a special class for embedian which e.g. removes
> everything from ./debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/... etc.

Would this strategy avoid the need for a modified copy of the rules files
                                                  ^^^^
in a separate emdebian directory ? That would avoid the problem that
I see as quite significant of keeping the standard Debian rules
and the Emdebian rules in sync over the lifetime of the package.
It's really the word "copy" that I do not like in my first sentence
...  (bad design practice to keep copies in sync by hand)

Peter