Re: Smarter dpkg/apt rather than new distro ?

On Sat Feb 28, 2004 at 01:38:48PM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
> What we can do is build a set of packages that provide all the
> documentation building commands but they dont actually do anything, so
> for example dummy-pdflatex just has a shell script that outputs a very
> small valid pdf file perhaps saying "Documentation not built". These

An excellent idea.

> packages provide all the build dependencies you need, giving you a
> bootstrapping tool, and as a byproduct remove almost all documentation.
> You can use this as a Debian bootstrapper too, as when you build the
> real packages they will replace the dummy ones, so an autobuilder should
> eventually build the real thing.

Speaking of which....  Does anyone here have any experience with
setting up an autobuilder and making it work?  I'm sorry to say
that my efforts at making wanna-build and friends actually work
have been entirely fruitless thus far.  :-(

 -Erik