Re: Thanks for this Fosdem embedded week-end

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:29:18PM +0100, Henrion Benjamin wrote:
> Hi all,

[...]
> 3. searching for funding to make a cigar board for making cheap (under
> 100eur) xterminals (I'm looking for a SoC with sound, eth, usb, vga; if
> you know something nice); if you have 10.000eur to invest in this
> project, contact me

I think it would be nice to have a General Purpose board with some good
CPU (IXP425 or one of the many new ARM92x based SoC's like Toshiba,
NetSilicon, Cirrus Logic, Triscend/ARM, ...) that have all the peripherals
that you mention above and this to be available at a cost that is close
to the BOM (Bill Of Materials). When looking at the BOM (and the cost
for a 4 layer board) we may be not too far off for the 100 EURO target
you raise (I would guess 200 EURO for now, but this will continue to
drop).

I am also aware of local funded R&D projects at Flemish High Schools (TETRA)
that will be investigating this. So that may help on your funding question as
well.

What would you need the funding for ?

One discussion that could be started here or on a different list is to understand
which combinations of SoC, external components and board type (4 layer, 6 layer)
would be required and what would be the production cost of such a basic General
Purpose board with ARM9/XScale CPU. Many people on this list have a detailed
idea about which components could be used and what the cost would be.

Peter