Re: some thoughts (scratchbox, emdebian/rules)

ext Dan Kegel wrote:

I agree.  Let's try to, over time, get rid of the need for scratchbox.

I strongly support this goal :)
It probably means improving gcc and binutils (this is already progressing), getting the general awareness of how to build good build systems up to a reasonable level and a strong movement to use the normal open source software components in embedded systems (not just the kernels).

By the way, I don't think you really need it to compile X;
I seem to recall the ptxdist folks have a way of cross-compiling that
already.

XFree86 supports cross-compilation out of the box. You just need to know how to configure it. It ain't rocket science but not very trivial either.

/lauri