Embedded Debian, the 5 lb bag.

Hi all,

I'm new on this list.  I'm also fairly new to Debian too.
I'm working on creation of a small/embedded linux system,
my pet name for it is "abox".  This reflects it's goals of
being a commodity of sorts to help build a certain niche of
small/embedded systems.  It's target size is 8MB or larger.
It is currently based on busybox, debian-stable, stock libc.

Basically, it's a stripped down Debian stable system.  Which
reflects my thoughts on embedded programming/engineering:
It's like trying to stuff 10 lbs of stuff in a 2 lb bag.
What do you throw out, what do you keep?
It's never optimal, if you could take the complete 10 lb bag,
you'd do it.  But you can't, so you spend valuable time
cutting stuff out.  Don't need the fenders, don't need the
back brakes, stripping a system down to esentially a hot-rod.

It turns into a rather personalized endeavour specific to your needs.
There is a large spectrum of small/embedded systems.
There are 2 lb bags, 1 lb bags, 5 lb bags, etc.
There are many ways you could choose to build such a system.

Up to this point there has been a large focus on
embedding linux in a 1-4MB container size, for boot/install/rescue
floppys or first generation PDA's with tiny amounts of flash.

As we go forward we are seeing larger amounts of space available
in embedded systems.  The 5 lb bag if you will.
This is the niche that I'm working in right now.
Think 32MB CF cards, or USB flash dongles, boot CDROM's.

Anyway, I'm very excited about my work trying to craft some
tools to manage a system like this.  And I'd be very interested
in any comments, sugestions or help.  Here is a
link to an initial web page I've setup that has some of
the tools I'm working on :
http://www.turbobit.com/abox.html

Cheers,

Karl.