Re: cross-gcc status

> - - bad default for crossbase (it *should* be /usr, there is no point to make
> it different unless toolchain is able to handle that) - this may be fixed
> immidiatly
A default to /usr seams to be ok for me. The possiblity to change crossbase is
mandatory for all the foraign toolchains e.g. HardHat where crossbase have to
be set to /opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/8xx.

> - - the cause of probalem was that user config overrides completely system
> conffile. Raphael, what do you think about proposed patch? it is safe? Or
> probably we should postpone better config handling until dpkg-cross 2.0,
> where such functionality is planned anyway?
The problem is not in the possibility to extend. If you have the possibility
to extend the /etc/dpkg/cross-compile file with ~/.dpkg/cross-compile you need
also a way to reset to default or a way to unset variables, packates etc.

Considering the ongoing freeze of Debian 3.1 I won't change to much thinks
yet. We should wait until 2.x of dpkg-cross with a rewrite of the configuration
to address the issue with the required time and quality assurance.

> - - dependences can't track situation when different -arch-cross packages use
> different paths. Looks that any combination of -arch-cross packages with
> different paths is broken if installed in the same system. I see two
> possible solutions here:
> *) in postinst of -arch-cross packages, ensure that paths in the current
> package and in dependent packages are the same, make installation fail if
> they are not; add path check code to anything that use -arch-cross
> packages (e.g. to cross-gcc building scripts).
> *) if paths are non-default, encode path information info package name
> suffix; so -powerpc-cross will always have files under /usr/powerpc-linux,
> and if someone needs a package with files elsewhere, that package will
> have different (probably somewhat long) name
> Second solution looks better for me.
For me too. I will prefer the second solution because it less error prone
and will work very nice with foreign toolchains too ;) Today you have to
be very careful not to mistake the same package compiled with two different
toolchains. Different postfix names would be a big improvement here.

--
Raphael Bossek