Building modules.dep for Foreign Architecture?

Anyone here have experience building modules.dep for a foreign architecture?

I'm trying to build modules.dep for a powerpc kernel on an i386 host.

I experienced segfaults using depmod: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=268720

I also tried the depmod.pl perl script, included with BusyBox, but it seemed to be broken. I haven't invested a lot of time trying to fix it, yet.

I figured there'd be people on this list with experience on this topic. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jack