RE: Hi, and embedded routers

> > I have followed the thread about Debian router (compressed
> FS needs)
> > from the Apr 2004 archives. I have read through the howto by Vadim,
> > and also his shell script. It seems a good starting point.
>
> Well I have no experience with that script, but I can provide
> you with some useful things.

Thanks, what kind of useful things?

> > Vadim requires a statically linked busybox binary to use
> his script.
> > Would the Sarge version of busybox-static fulfill this
> need, or would
> > I have to take the source (either debian, or vanilla, and compile
> > statically?)? I hope someone can advise on this issue.
>
> Well the sarge version should work. I also made a emdebian
> package of the latest busybox version you can find it in the
> download section on stag.mind.be.

The Sarge busybox-static worked fine. I have downloaded your stag-busybox
binary anyhow.

> > Also, if I chose not to use busbox, and hacked away at the thing
> > myself, how would one start using emdebian. The embedded
> board would
> > be running an i386 clone.
>
> Well you could use the quickstartguide on my website. The
> only difference is that you don't have to edit the
> cross-compile file. Just run dpkg-buildpackage -b -Emdb when
> compiling (unless you want to use an optimized i386 toolchain
> or are running debian on a non-i386 system). With the
> wrappers you can install everything in a seperate dir, which
> you can share via NFS to boot your Soekris board.
>
> There is only one problem. The installation of my tool
> package is quite hard.
> Wookey should have a better one, but I don't know where to
> get it. For the moment you also have to use it with
> dpkg-cross 1.14 (the 1.16 version is still being tested for
> full emdebian functionality) Hopefully once all this is done
> we  can release a non-expirimental system and start building
> away packages.

Thanks Philippe.

I have also downloaded the stag-addons-1.0.3.i386.deb file. Is this the
toolchain package you mention? I have the 1.14 version of dpkg-cross. When I
issue the command from your quickstart guide (dpkg -i --force-all
stag-addons-1.0.2.i386.deb), it removes dpkg-dev! This leaves me without
dpkg-buildpackage.

My end aim is to have the project within a dir, which I can chroot into. I
will then transfer the rootfs onto compact flash or similar.

Chris.

believed to be clean.