Re: Embedded Debian, the 5 lb bag.

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 13:14, DHollenbeck wrote:
> - Stick with glibc, so I can nfs root mount to my development system,
> can run custom binaries I make there using standard approaches.  There's
> enough space for glibc on the target flash and I will have to support
> the same programs on a desktop linux as what runs on the target.  (There
> is a development system for my target custom binaries.  This decision is
> critical, since it allows me to maintain only one set of binaries.)  No
> offense to Erik's unbelievable work, I am just not enthused about the
> hassles of using uclibc.  The days of small space are going away fast,
> thanks to digital camaras primarily.
>
> - Use full BASH.
>
> - Use busybox with the 2.6 module loading support, and the internal dpkg
> manager also.  Is that functional?

Its a product dependent call. If you're building with flash parts not
CF, then you probably have some volume where every dollar counts.
Building 100, buy the CF part and be done with it.

I found while writing my book that a minimal filesystem using 2.4.x,
glibc, bash, and very minimal set of utilities comes in around 4888KB. I
made the justification that you might not be able to buy small flash
parts in the future, so just use glibc and bash then plan for the size.
As time goes on, this becomes more true.

I guess the question to ask here is. Will there be support for uClibc in
emDebian package management? I'm new to the group, has this been already
discussed?

Craig

Dr. Craig Hollabaugh, craig@hollabaugh.com
Author of Embedded Linux: Hardware, Software and Interfacing
www.embeddedlinuxinterfacing.com