Re: Linux on CF-Cards

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:46:01PM +0100, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

Hi Wolfgang,

> > CF is a great way to boot up the system.  Then, most of its content
> > should be mounted as read-only on a ram-based root filesystem. The
> > writable-part should be on the ramdisk, and should be updated to
>
> Using a ramdisk is  simple,  but  far  from  optima.  In  almost  all
> circumstances a tmpfs is a much better choice.

I mean tmpfs when mentioning a ramdisk, not ramfs. Yes, tmpfs expands
as needed depending in available RAM.  It is much better than ramfs.

> > Does Linux have union-mount yet, in 2.6.x?  It will make my life
> > less miserable in building embedded systems.
>
> We're working on a FIST based fan-out  filesystem  which  will  allow
> exactly what you are looking for.

Thank you for the information. I will take a look at it. It will make
updating the software/filesystem more robust on the embedded scale.

Bao
--
Best Regards.
Bao C. Ha