Re: embedded debian package management

On Mon 26 May, Dan Kegel wrote:

> I will post my scripts at kegel.com once I've debugged them a bit
> more.  They are a basic framework for building a cross toolchain, plus
> a way of automatically applying the appropriate platform-specific
> patches,

That sounds exactly like Debian's toolchain-source package. Take a look at
that:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/toolchain-source/toolchain-source_3.0.4-1.tar.gz

The problem with this was that getting one set of source and patches that
worked for a large number of arches is very difficult. It sounds like a
great idea in practice, and I like it myself, but it's proved sufficiently
troublesome that the maintainer Hakan Ardo is not keen to continue with the
idea - reckoning that a set of cross-compilers each maintained by a
relevant expert is a better bet.

Of course, you don't have to deal with the way packages progress through
the debian archive (versionning is a real problem here), and emdebian
doesn't have to either for it's own purposes so if you're getting something
that works that sounds good to me.

> The result is an easy way to generate exactly the set of compilers
> you want from whatever source you want.

I look forward to it.