Re: emacs-wgrep is marked for autoremoval from testing

Xiyue Deng <manphiz@gmail.com> writes:

> Nicholas D Steeves <sten@debian.org> writes:
>> Xiyue Deng <manphiz@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> This action is only correct if all users will use UTF-8 100% of the time
>> because otherwise it sweeps a corner-case under the rug.  In other
>> words, NACK at this time.
>>
>> Providing correct functioning to users of non-UTF-8 appears to require
>> this:
>>
>>   https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Converting-Representations.html
>>
>> and alternatively, the mode should throw an error on non-UTF-8 systems.
>>

> c65b0989 was an attempt to avoid failure on buildd in case it doesn't
> have the proper locale settings.  As I cannot reproduce this issue using
> sbuild which I think the buildds use, and the previous 3.0.0-2 upload
> doesn't fail either, it's probably OK to leave this unresolved for now.

Yup, I've been aware of the issue for a while, and have been deferring
its resolution for a while because I haven't seriously looked into
encodings, and because the objective isn't to make the tests
superficially pass.

>> As the package maintainer, I'm willing to sponsor at commit:fc1fac7 or
>> equivalent.
>>

> I can revert to 01379469 which is just before I tried Jeremy's solution
> if you are OK to sponsor this.

I found time to review your changes.  Once again, the changelog should
unambiguously document changes to the package without requiring git
history to interpret any changelog entry.

See changelog and git log for further info.

The UTF-8 issue appears to be present in autopkgtests, but I can't
remember if this is an old or a new issue.  IIRC there was something on
debian-devel about how they're going to become more important for trixie
or trixie+1.  I think it said the bounty would be dropped and some sort
of penalty or block would be introduced.  Test this with

  $ autopkgtest -- schroot sid-amd64-sbuild

Do these pass on your systems?

And here's an interesting discussion that is, at worst, tangentially
related to the problem:
  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2223882/whats-the-difference-between-utf-8-and-utf-8-with-bom

Cheers,
Nicholas