Re: yasnippet commits review

Hi Nicholas,

Le dimanche 29 janvier 2023 à 13:51, Nicholas D Steeves <sten@debian.org> a écrit :

I agree, the wiki is a good place to centralise information. Linking to that article can then be used to avoid needing to reexplaining things; it also prevents gating when you link to it from package that needs a workaround--this is especially important for a package that needs
an active human maintainer!

Another possibility might be to eventually provide additional
documentation in dh-elpa.

Feel free to use any part of my previous mails verbatim if you edit the wiki (I don't have write access). If you want me to review it first, just tell me.

Thanks!  That will fulfil #1 of the above.

This is done.

The "not with a patch" alternative is valid but I worry it may be insufficient, so I would need to see what you're proposing...and we're
short on time...for the record, here's my criteria:

1. Don't make Debian-specific fixes (make them upstream, and make the same changes in the Debian package), except for Debian-specific issues
  2. Provide the URL where fix was forwarded
3. It's better if no further action needs to be taken when rebasing
  the Debian package on a future (fixed) upstream version
4. Optionally provide a link to upstream bug (in this case, it sounds like that would be an Emacs bug). In the absence of this, it would be nice to see it as a TODO item, because we're supposed to be helping
  upstream work towards a more robust future.
5. Don't normalise the bug or take on technical debt--I feel like a simple use of d/elpa-test would probably do this, because this file is usually used for permanent Debian-specific CI integration type problems...also, if it's truly an Emacs then I think that dh-elpa
  is the place to implement the workaround.

Fair enough, I went with the patch.

Go ahead and finalise the changelog
with a commit message that mentions the version
(0.14.0+git20200603.5cbdbf0d-2) as well as the distribution/suite
(unstable)--in other words, it's just about ready to sponsor.

Done, the package should be ready to upload.

Best,

Aymeric